As we resume some elective surgeries at Artesia General Hospital, we’ve made some important changes and increased safety measures. Please see this Elective Surgeries Guide for Patients for more information about how we’re keeping our patients, their families and our staff safe and healthy throughout each procedure.
The Surgery Center at Artesia General Hospital provides both outpatient and inpatient surgery across many specialties. Our Surgery Center’s operating suites are equipped with advanced technology, allowing our team of surgeons, nurse anesthetists, surgical nurses and professional staff to offer high quality surgical treatment.
Assessment and care planning education is provided to patients and families, before and after surgical procedures, in our private, outpatient surgery areas.
We have received state accolades from the New Mexico Hospital Association for our Operating Room/Central Sterile area’s staff knowledge, education and exceptional cleanliness—all areas that positively impact patients and their safety.
Services provided in the Department of Surgical Services include:
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Lower Endoscopy (Colonoscopy)
- Upper Endoscopy (EGD)
- General Surgery — Appendectomy, Colon Resection, Gallbladder Removal, Hernia Repairs, Removal of Skin Lesions
- Orthopedics — Total Hip Replacement, Total Knee Replacement, ACL/PCL Reconstruction, Ankle and Elbow Arthroscopy, Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair and Shoulder Instability, Carpal Tunnel Surgery, Meniscus Tears, Robotic Surgery, Fracture Stabilization
- Pain Management — Blocks, Radiofrequency Ablation, Epidural and Steroid Injections
- Podiatry — Ankle/Foot Fracture Repair, Bunionectomy, Hammertoe Correction, Heel Spurs, Wound and Diabetic Care
- Urology — Circumcision, Cystoscopy, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL), Lithotripsy (Kidney Stone Removal), Vasectomy
Ambulatory Care Unit
The Ambulatory Care Unit of Artesia General Hospital is located in the Department of Surgery. This unit delivers numerous outpatient procedures, while continuing to provide services for our surgical and endoscopy outpatients.
Procedures are scheduled from 7 am through 3 pm, Monday through Friday. Off-hours services are available either through our Emergency Department or the Medical-Surgical Unit.
Services provided in Ambulatory Care include:
- Therapeutic Injections – SQ or IM
- Therapeutic Injections – IV
- Infusion Therapy
- Transfusion Blood and or Blood Products
- Treatment Room – available for minor surgical procedures requiring no provision of CRNA services
Pre-admission Testing reviews a patient’s health history, current medications, lab tests and X-rays as needed to help assure the best possible outcomes for the patient.
The Department of Anesthesiology, as part of our Surgical Department’s team, provides medical evaluation prior to surgery, consultation with the surgical team, pain control and support of life functions during surgery, supervisory care with your surgeon following your surgery and medical discharge for the patient from the recovery unit.
Our Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA) have completed extensive training in their specialty and subspecialty areas. This team contributes to the overall continuity of care for our patients.
Prior to your surgery your surgeon may order pre-admission testing. During your appointment a nurse will complete a nursing assessment. In some cases your surgeon may order blood work, an EKG, chest x-ray and/or other various pre-testing procedures. Through pre-admission testing, our surgical team provides a less stressful time for patients and family members to get answers to their questions and receive information. The Artesia General Hospital’s surgical team focuses on creating a comfortable and positive experience for our surgical patients.
Physicians & Providers
Marshall Baca, MD
Casey Dellabarca, MD
Interventional Pain Management
Roberto F. Labayen, MD
Michael D. Mann, MD
Joseph Marino, DPM
Podiatrist / Wound Care
John C. Mullican, MD
Zhinian Wan, MD